Friday, February 6, 2009

Archos 504 Portable Digital Media Player and Recorder


Customer Review


5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best hand held mp4 player in the market, March 8, 2007
1. As a mp3 player it is still the best if you are like me who refuse to buy any music with copy protection. I bought a handheld device every 6 months and move my files all the time. The copy protected files prevent me from doing that so ipod is out of the question for me. The user interface is much better then creative lab.

2. As for pictures as other reviewer say it does not support raw format and if you need this go for creative lab and not the wolverine(very bad company will not repair under warrenty even if they admit it is their fault but they do not know why). otherwise it is great.

3. Reliability wise i have great luck with all Archos product and none have much problem. My 504 have lock up once for about 200 hours of using. I have to remove the battery to restart it.

4. The best part about the 504 is the mp4 support. I use CloneMobile to rip dvds for the 504. I actually do it mostly for music. So instead of just mp3 I have music videos. CloneMobile offer ripping by chapter which is a function I have not seen this in most other software. The best part about the 504 is that it allow me to play all the videos in one folder in normal order, shuffle or repeat mode. while you are playing your mp4 you can see a side menu which let you see and change parameters. The most useful one for me is the display format (auto,full screen, maximize, original) and the player is very smart when displaying the video. The fast foreword is good but only up to 8X. i wish it is 32x. there is no go to next video command like the mp3.

5. i highly recommend the dvr docking kit for use at home and the $26 small travelling adapter for traveling. The most important features lacking without one of the 3 adapter is a fast charger and the ability to use regular usb cables.

6. The little speaker is a convenient feature but useless as the sound is horrible. I hook the 504 to a device with a mp3 player audio input with a subwoofer. but the best sound is by using my headphone. I use the shure 500 when travelling and Sennheiser HD650 at home. It drives the Sennheiser HD650 without an amp with very good sound. I had a portable headphone amp but i find it too cumbersome to use it. It is possible that a headphone like the 701k that require less power to drive may be better for the 504 but i am currently very happy using the hd650. Also with the dvr adapter i can hook the 504 to my hi fi system but i just do not like to run long cables.

7. I upgraded the firmware immediately since someone said the sound quality has been improved with the newer firmware. The instruction given did not work. I have to click the firmware file manually after i copied it onto the 504 for it to run and then it upgraded fine.

8. Someone complain about the size of the 504 and i found it to be very acceptable. It is a lot bigger and heavier then my 400 but there is very little you can do if you want a large screen for the size. May be in the next few years they can cut down the thickness and weight but knowing what i know about hard drives that may take many years.

9. I still do not like the buttons and you cannot use them in the dark. I think some additional gui like the 400 that you push and small menu display on the side to let u pick choices will be a great addition for operating in the dark. This is not an issue if you are watching a long movie at night but an issue if you watch music videos. you have to turn the lcd to the brightest and keep some lights on to use the device. This is a bigger issue when travelling due to the drain on the battery. Talking about the battery it is very easy to remove, so an extra battery may be an answer.

10. I have not use the 504 to record anything because I have no need for that. I have other systems set up to do those task. Personally I have to say using a hand held device should be for travelling and I leave the heavy lifting of recording to my home video and hi fi system.

Archos 504 160GB Portable Digital Media Player and Recorder


Archos 504 80GB Portable Digital Media Player and Recorder


Archos 504 40GB Portable Digital Media Player and Recorder

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fed up of dealing with deposit and withdrawal issues in Blockchain? Are you looking for the long-lasting and easy solution? You can reach the experts by dialing Blockchain toll free number 833-228-1682. The customer team provides out-of-the-box remedies to every issue faced by you. They provide accessible and easy to use solutions on the spot. They firmly believe in fixing user’s errors at any cost. They feel delighted in fixing your bugs and hitches.