Friday, February 6, 2009

Archos 705 Wi-Fi Portable Media Players



Customer Review


5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with Archos 705, January 24, 2008
I got this for Christmas (after a number of hints to my wife!) and was playing with it as soon as I got it, and the DVR attachment. I wanted it mostly for travel but also wanted the DVR functionality and the ability to watch movies or view pictures on my TV screen.

I like this model over the 605 because when I watch a video or movie, I don't want to have to peer at a 4.5" screen. The seven inch screen makes all the difference.

I have to say it lives up to my expectations 100%! (Even my wife's impressed!) I put four or five DVD's on it, in both the DVD native format and condensed MP4 formats and they all look good, although the native DVD formats have slightly better resolution when viewed on the TV screen. I got the 160GB version because DVD's typically use up 3-4GB in their native format. I have over 50GB of movies on it at this point so it looks like a good decision.

I bought the plug-in's I needed and they downloaded flawlessly and I had no problems at all with them. One plug-in I bought was the browser and I haven't used it that much but it does work and will be useful when traveling if I don't have my laptop with me.

The DVR functionality works fine, although you have to make sure that the IR port on your cable box can "see" the IR port on the DVR adapter. This might be a problem if you have your equipment stacked vertically on a shelf. I haven't found a decent way to reflect the light from one IR port to the other but I'm still working on it.

Streaming from my home PC seems to work fine - I've watched a few movies that way. Occasionally it will act jerky but I assume that it's something to do with my wireless network because I've fixed it by rebooting the computer the video was streaming from. Viewing pictures works fine and doesn't have any problems.

I like the case that comes with it. It's not leather like some of the aftermarket cases, but it protects the unit and stores the stylus and that's all I really need. I also like the remote control, which works well and does exactly what you'd expect. (If you buy the DVR accessory, you'll find that it comes with a remote as well so now I have a spare!)

Cons:
1. The touchscreen works as advertised but needs a firmer press than most.
2. The menu system is conteXt sensitive and so you have to learn where things are to take best advantage of it.
3. The manual could use some improvement in organization and readability. There are menu items that aren't mentioned and the organization leaves you looking through page after page until you find what you want.
4. Paying extra for the plug-ins sort of rubs me the wrong way but not enough to matter.
5. It's NOT an iPod .... but who cares. I like it better!

Archos 705 Wi-Fi Portable Media Player (160 GB)


Archos 705 Wi-Fi Portable Media Player (80 GB)

No comments: